| No Comments | No TrackBacks
Leaving japan all went smoothly, thank goodness. I caught the 10:05 bus to Nagano, after selling my last lift coupon to Brendan earlier. The other big group of Australians were catching the 8:00 bus, and it would have been nice to travel with them, but I needed to sell my pass. I've exchanged business cards, so perhaps I'll meet up with them again some other time. I sat next to an old Japanese man on the bus. He is 77, and he has been skiing for 50 years. His English was quite good, so we had a good chat to Nagano. He was telling me how the Shiga Kogen area used to be part of the USA occupied territory, and they couldn't ski there. At some point when he was at university the ski club he was a member of built a lodge up at Shiga Kogen. So now he gets cheap lodging there. He also told me that the names Nagano and Nakano mean long field and wide field, but I'm not sure which was which. It was very easy to find my hotel in Tokyo, but only because the manager of Hoyel Sunroute at Shiga Kogen helped me out by letting me print a google map page. He even zoomed in, and told me the closest train station and what line it was on. So if you are going to Shiga Kogen, definately give Hotel Sunroute a go. The Akihabra area was only one train stop away from where I was, so I went and had a look. Akihabra is an electronics retail area, with enormous shops. It was all a bit too much for me. I walked around for a couple of hours, but didn't buy anything. I've been thinking of getting a panasonic Lumix FT1, but they weren't sold any cheaper than at home. I didn't really know prices for other stuff. I saw some Kensington tracballs that I considered, but again, the price didn't seem all that attractive. The next morning I got up at 6am, so I had plenty of time to get to the airport for my 10:45 flight. I got there so early that I had to wander around the terminal trying to use up some yen in duty free shopping. Unfortunately I could only take 1 litre of alchol into Thailand, which limited me sonewhat. I already had a bottle of wine I had brought from Australia to give to the Benjasiris.

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: http://geoff-blog.cromp.id.au/cgi-bin/movabletype/mt-tb.cgi/52

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Geoff Crompton published on January 24, 2010 1:40 PM.

Day 3 of snowboarding at Shiga Kogen was the previous entry in this blog.

quitting in IT is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.



Powered by Movable Type 4.35-en