September 2011 Archives

bye facebook

| No Comments | No TrackBacks
I just deleted my facebook account. You can to, with this link. I don't use it, and I don't like getting emails from facebook trying to drag me back into it. So no longer will people think they can invite me to parties via facebook invitations that I won't reply to.

Hopefully something better (like diaspora) will eventually be a suitable replacement.

typosquatting fail

| No Comments | No TrackBacks
Just now I read an opendns posting on typosquatting. They seemed a bit confused, so I wrote them a message, which I'm reposting here in case they don't see fit to include it on their blog post (and so I can find it more easily).

This article seems a bit confused. First you say you can't autocorrect domains that are being typosquatted, because they are registered domains.

Then your first dot point on how to outsmart typo squatting is to use opendns.

It seems the problem opendns autocorrect feature solves is _some_ typing mistakes by users. But even for those typing mistakes if this autocorrect feature didn't exist the user would be faced with some kind of error from their web browser, and presumably they would fix it for themselves.

So opendns's autocorrect feature doesn't help against typosquatting, and only encourages people to not take care in what urls they are typing.

| No Comments | No TrackBacks
So I am playing with a MacBook Air, and I want to watch some youtube. But it tells me I need to update my Adobe flash player. So I follow some links, and download it, and get prompted to agree to a license. So I click that link and get taken to http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/#flash_player. Which is a long list of their software, and versions, and matching licenses. It isn't blindingly obvious which link license I'm meant to read, but I managed, and download the flash player 10.3 license.

When I open it I see a page in what I'm assuming is an arabic right to left language. Now I don't expect everyone to cater to my monolingual handicap, but I'm still a little annoyed. I'm pretty sure my browser was quiet happy to tell them what language I'm using.

But I scroll down the pdf, to see what else is in there. Next is a Russian looking language. Then a Chinese looking language, followed by some pages in Japanese (or possibly the other way around). Then another two languages, and then German, till finally what I want, the English language.

I don't even know what page it's on, because Safari doesn't show you page numbers when rendering a PDF. Looks about a quarter of the scroll bar. And then it's 8 pages of legalese to read.

Proprietary software sucks.